Primary school pupils have made history in Coventry by planting a time capsule under the £100 million Friargate regeneration scheme in the city centre.
Filled with items suggested by Coventry people and organisations, the sealed metal canister has been planted in the new public realm of Friargate and will be marked with a plaque. It won’t be opened again until 2066.
The pupils from St. Osburgs, Spon Gate and All Saints C of E primary schools were joined by Stephen Reynolds of Friargate Coventry LLP, Rev. David Mayhew of Holy Trinity Church, Wasps mascot Sting, David Cockroft, an Assistant Director at Coventry City Council and Peter Hobson of contractor Bowmer and Kirkland.
Stephen Reynolds said: “Friargate is a new business district that will transform Coventry city centre. We thought that a time capsule would be the ideal way to record how the city looked in 2016 as well as capturing our ideas of Coventry in the future. We received some fantastic suggestions of what to put in there and have included as many of the items suggested as possible”
- Photos of Coventry by Trevor Sutton, who calls himself a “very proud Coventry kid”
- Time capsule drawings and paintings by pupils from All Saints, St Osburgs and Spon Gate primary schools
- A book called The Phoenix Rises – A Portrait of Coventry University in its City
- A student poem from Warwick University to mark its 50th anniversary in 2015. Students worked with pupils from Foxford and Cardinal Wiseman schools to write the poem which explores the future of education
- A cross of nails from Coventry Cathedral
- A photo album from Coventry City Council
- Models of cars from Jaguar Land Rover: a Jaguar E-type 1961 and a Land Rover Series I Hue 166 – the first Series 1 car manufactured at Solihull
- A copy of the Coventry Telegraph
- A shop receipt
- Guidebooks for Coventry Transport Museum and the Herbert Art Gallery
- Herbert Art Gallery What’s On guide
- Badge to mark the 75th anniversary of the Blitz
- Badge marking Coventry’s City of Culture bid
- A Friargate brochure
- Order of Service for the 2015 Christmas Eve Midnight Communion service from Holy Trinity Church – nominated by Lord Mayor as his Civic Service
- Cash’s woven picture of Godiva – provided by Cash’s of Coventry and suggested by Hazel Swift of Coventry University
- A Special Edition, 1987 FA Cup match programme from Coventry City v Northampton Town
- Literature from BBC Coventry & Warwickshire
- Match Tickets and programmes from Wasps and Coventry Blaze
- A tie and the general arrangement plan for the Friargate public realm from Bowmer and Kirkland, the contractor delivering the first phase of Friargate